Manny De Montaigne drinks single malts

all things relating to Michel De Montaigne, Manny being Manny, and single malt scotches

Thursday, October 03, 2013

The Post-Season

In less than twenty-four hours, the Red Sox will return to post-season play, hosting the Rays in Game One of the ALDS. Jon Lester will be on the mound, and everyone seems reasonably healthy. So expectations are high all across Red Sox Nation.  And why not?  The Sox led the majors in runs scored, as well as a host of other batting stats, including on-base percentage, OPS, extra base hits, and beards in the dugout. Speaking of which, now that the wedding festivities are concluded, and no one will bug me about my appearance, I'm going to let my beard grow until they are eliminated from the post-season. It's a show of solidarity -- Boston Strong.

I'm not thrilled that the Sox are facing the Rays. I know they got the better of Tampa Bay during the regular season, but the Rays have great pitching, and in a short series, pitching usually rules. Also, the Rays have had more opportunities to face Boston's pitchers, particularly Koji, who has somehow baffled everyone this year, but who may have become a known quantity to the Rays, after they have seen him umpteen times. Still, there are no crappy teams in the post-season, and if Boston is going to advance, they are only going to see better and better teams as they go deeper into October. So what the hell? Indians, Rangers, Rays, whatever. I'm just happy they are still playing baseball. Last few years, I could barely bring myself to pay attention to the ALDS.

The other day, for no particular reason, I rewatched the ceremony at Fenway when baseball resumed after the bombing. I did it mainly to hear Papi's inspirational and profane little speech. In all the excitement generated by the Sox success this year, it's easy to forget how traumatized the city was for a few days in April. It's not 2001; and I don't expect the country to be rooting for Boston just to be supportive, as fans across the country did for the Yankees that year. But it just provides a sense of perspective: we're only talking about baseball here.

And one more thing. Isn't it great to think about October baseball, without having to worry if we'll ever see a World Series championship in our lifetimes? Ever since 2004, and especially after they repeated in 2007, I feel like we're playing with house money. Another championship would be wonderful, but it's nice that we can be thankful just for the opportunity to be playing baseball in October. Go Sox.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Berg,
Once again, you captured the feelings of the moment so well. I have nothing of value to add to your observations, hope the Sox find a way to move forward (I am also weary of the Rays). Congratulations on John and Amanda's wedding, great seeing the photos on Susie's FB page - go Sox!
Chipper

Not to get ahead ourselves to much, but I am getting excited about the Cuse in the ACC, Freshman class looks hopeful - only one month away!.

8:24 PM  
Blogger pops said...

Chip,
As good as Boston looked in the first two games, that's about as bad as the Cuse looked against Clemson. I got invited to go to the Dome on Saturday but passed, thankfully. More difficult than turning down that invite was choosing not to bet against the Orange. I heard that Clemson was only a 12 point favorite, and I was sure that one could give away those twelve points, and make a lot of dough. But my loyalty kept me from taking advantage of that great business opportunity. Not much hope for the Orange this fall; so let's keep our focus Red.
Berg

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home